Tuesday, June 20, 2017

BRAD STEINKE: CHEATER IN GOLF, CHEATER IN LIFE


It's been said that golf can reveal a lot about a person’s character. How a person acts on
the golf course is a pretty good indicator of how they conduct themselves off it.

If a person cheats in golf, he will most likely cheat in business and in life. If someone
throws clubs and curses when things go bad from tee to green, there is a good chance they will probably come unglued when things don't go their way off it.

I thought about that when I was recently perusing the television transaction wire and
saw that Brad Steinke left WKRC in Cincinnati after just two years as the station's sports
director. He was said to be pursuing other opportunities out west.

Back to golf and cheating.

We usually played three times a week before heading into work to anchor the network's nightly broadcasts at Fox Sports Net in Atlanta and Arizona. Steinke liked to fancy himself
an avid golfer, aficionado, and always boasted of a single-digit handicap.

However, during our golf outings, Steinke was often so desperate to win our friendly bets,
he felt the need to cheat along the way. He was the only guy I ever played with who could
knock two balls out-of-bounds and insist that he recorded a par.

                   If a person cheats in golf, he most likely will cheat in business and in life.

That statement certainly rang true with Steinke. We were good friends at Fox Sports Net,
but Steinke always had an agenda and was a master manipulator. He is the kind of person
who would throw his parents under the bus to get ahead. Steinke had a penchant for cutting
others downin front of management to make himself look better.

On the day I learned my contract wasn't being renewed, my  'ole pal called to offer his
condolences. Quite honestly, I wasn't in the mood to talk and told him as much and was
quick to end the call.

    If someone throws clubs and curses when things go bad from tee to green, there is a good
          chance they will probably come unglued when things don't go their way off it.

Seconds later, the phone rang again. It was on a landline and I didn't have caller ID so I
just let it go to voicemail. I retrieved the message a short time later and what I heard was
part-comedy and a ton of self-absorption.

"You don't hang up on Brad Steinke! Nobody hangs up on Brad Steinke! Do you know
how many Emmy awards I have won?' Nobody hangs up on Brad Steinke!"

For real? Broadcast television is filled with monster egos, divas, prima donnas, and those
who think the business cannot go one without them. Steinke is one of those people except
that he's in an entirely different stratosphere when it comes to evaluating his importance.

Steinke (yes, that's he's real name) had an overinflated opinion of himself and those Emmy
awards, which were local Emmy's and in this day and age of television, are the equivalent of a participation trophy. Just as long as you pay that $300 entry fee, chances are you'll get something back that's all nice and shiny.

Steinke liked to make sure everyone knew all about his local Emmy awards. He would
have them strategically placed in the foyer of his townhouse so all his guests could see them
on their way in. Steinke's LinkedIn profile picture is, of course, him posing with his local Emmy.


Somebody should have given Steinke an Emmy award in the category of most creative
(lying). Remember that saying,  If a person cheats in golf, he most likely will cheat in business
and in life?

Well, after Steinke left that message on my voicemail, he knew he had to do something
to save face. I'm sure he thought I'd run to management and spill the beans on his immaturity,
not to mention his massive ego. Steinke forgot one very BIG thing: I am nothing like him.
I don't lie,  cheat, or complain. I don't run to management, mommy, or anyone else with any
problem I may have. I handle it myself.

Steinke was so worried about that message he left on my voicemail that he became
desperate to discredit me. Just as he did on the golf course, Steinke wanted so badly to come
out ahead he'd do anything to try to beat me.

On a sun-splashed afternoon in the middle of Atlanta, Steinke passed me as I was waiting
to come off a road where I had just dropped a couple of friends off.  We had spent most of
the day at a boat party at Lake Lanier, a vast man-made lake about 90 minutes outside of the
ATL and I was giving them a ride home.

I pulled up to Steinke who was in his white BMW convertible which had its top down.
and said, "What's up?" I knew if I said anything else, Steinke would've pulled his diva
act and called the police and made up some ridiculous story. But Steinke also knew that
if he went to the authorities, they would've laughed in his face for making such a childish
complaint. There's also a good chance they would've questioned his gender, which had become a common occurrence throughout Steinke's adult life.


Nope. Steinke wouldn't do that. Remember what I said about how when a person cheats
on a golf course it reveals a lot about his character?  If a person cheats in golf, he most likely
will cheat in business and in life.

Steinke was so hell-bent on winning again, he cheated with his story. By a lot. Forget about
wasting two balls out-of-bounds and claiming he got a par. Steinke went for the eagle on this
one. He called management and told them I was following him. Yep, on a crystal clear
Saturday afternoon with nothing else to do, Steinke said I was following him.

Wait a minute, that deserves a big LOL.

There isn't a single person on this planet who would ever think I'd follow anyone, much less
a 5'9", 155-pound Pee Wee Herman look-a-like. Purely comical.

I'll give Steinke some credit, though, he did a good job of reading his management team
who were far less intelligent and more cowardly than he is. Hunter Nickell, Steve
Craddock, and  Rebecca Schulte are like most people in our rush-to-judgement, knee-jerk
reaction society: they believe everything they hear, no questions asked. They are the type
of people who believe whatever they read, especially if it's on the Internet because, by golly,
if it's on the Internet it MUST be true. (Wink, wink).

Yes, Steinke had to win so badly (again), that he had to cheat in life. Had to cheat the
story. There was no fear of repercussion. No need to explain himself or worry about facing
the person he accused. Steinke knew management didn't have the courage to challenge his
story or even ask me about it, as if I should have to defend myself against utter nonsense.
So, he just let it rip and let everyone in on his fantasy.

Of course, they bought it. Our society buys just about everything people are selling these
days. Just look at the comments posted on Facebook and you will see how many people are intellectually challenged or can't think for themselves.

Steinke cheats on the golf course. Cheats in business. And cheats in life. Everyone at WKRC
saw that and Steinke knew it was time to pursue those "other" opportunities.

Oh, and I can't defame Steinke. The truth took care of that

No comments:

Post a Comment